Potato Fufu is a tricky one to make because Irish potatoes do not contain enough starch to make a mouldable fufu meal. But I will show you how. The recipe detailed on this page will show you how to make Potato Fufu from fresh Irish Potatoes.
Potato Fufu should be served with a Nigerian soup for fufu meals.
Ingredients for Potato Fufu
- 2 medium Irish Potatoes (spuds)
- 1 cup plain flour (all purpose flour)
- ½ cup hot water
You can use sweet potatoes instead of Irish Potatoes but sweet potatoes are too sweet for a fufu meal and some people with authentic Nigerian tastebuds may not like it.
If using sweet potatoes, to follow the pounded yam recipe.
Directions for making Potato Fufu
- Peel the potatoes, cut into cubes and rinse.
- Put in a pot, pour water to cover the potatoes and start cooking on medium heat.
- Mix the flour with the hot water till a sticky dough is achieved.
- Mould the dough into small balls and set aside.
- When the potatoes have boiled for about 12 minutes, add the balls of dough and continue cooking till you can easily drive a knife into the potatoes.
- Decant the water into a bowl and set aside.
- Pound/mash the potato and ball of flour either with a potato masher, a blender, a mortar and pestle or a stand mixer till a smooth dough is achieved. See the video below.
That’s it! Serve immediately with your favorite Nigerian soup