Yam Balls make a great breakfast meal or snack and it is so delicious! It is another way to enjoy sweet yam.Ingredients for Yam Balls
- 1kg (2.2lbs) white Native Yam
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup Peak Milk
- 8 small cubes of butter
- 1 small fresh paprika
- scotch bonnet pepper
- 1 small seasoning cube
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ red onion
- Salt (to taste)
- Vegetable oil (for frying)
Notes on the ingredients
- If you do not have white yam where you live, you can manage sweet potatoes but they do not taste the same.
- Peak Milk makes the yam balls moist and creamy.
- Scotch bonnet pepper is atarodo, ose oyibo or atarugu.
- Paprika is sweet peppers that are common outside Nigeria, in Nigeria use tatashe. When using tatashe, you may want to skit the atarodo, ose oyibo or atarugu (scotch bonnet pepper).
- You can use carrot oil to fry the pepper and onions, see the video below.
Before you make Yam Balls
- Dice the peppers and onion.
- Boil two of the eggs till hard. Then cut into pieces. I get about 8 pieces from one egg.
- Peel and cut the yam tuber into medium cubes. Rinse the yam cubes and place in a sizable pot.
- Pour enough water to about the same level as the yam cubes, add the seasoning cube and black pepper and start cooking on medium heat.
- After 30 minutes, the yam should be soft with a little water in the pot. Add salt and the cubes of butter, stir and set aside to cool down a bit.
- Pour a little vegetable oil in a frying pan and fry the onions and peppers for about 7 minutes.
- Mash the boiled yam, adding Peak Milk as you mash. You just need to mash the yam for a bit. See the video below.
- Add the fried peppers and onions and mix very well.
- Set some vegetable oil in a deep pan to heat up. The oil should be 3 inches deep.
- Mould the mashed yam into balls and set aside.
- Break the remaining egg and whisk.
- When the oil is hot, coat each yam ball with the beaten egg before throwing into the hot oil. Put as many balls as you can without overcrowding.
- Stir often and at the first sign of browning, it is ok to take it off the oil.
Serve with a chilled drink or for breakfast with other breakfast meal